Gita Jayanti and Worship of Bhagavad-gita
  • December 2005
    Hare Krishna!
    Please accept my humble obeisances.
    All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

“The Bhagavad-gita is identical with Krsna; and because Krsna is the Absolute Supreme Personality of Godhead, there is no difference between Krsna and His words. Therefore the Bhagavad-gita is as worshipable as Lord Krsna Himself, both being absolute. One who hears the Bhagavad-gita "as is" actually hears the words directly from the lotus lips of the Lord.” Srila Prabhupada, purport

Gita Jayanti commemorates the day that Lord Krishna spoke Bhagavad-gita to the great warrior and devotee Arjuna. Lord Krishna spoke Bhagavad-gita at the place now known as Jyotisar Tirtha amid the two battling families of the Kurus and the Pandavas at Kurukshetra.

A monument has been erected there depicting Lord Krishna as Parthasarati (chariot driver) and Arjuna the warrior on their chariot. It is said by the ashram that maintains the shrine that the tree that is next to Them is a continum growth of the original tree that was witness at the actual day of speaking.

Gita Jayanti falls on December 11 of this year. Traditionally devotees come to Kurukshetra (Dharmakshetra) on Gita Jayanti and recite Bhagavad Gita from early morning until the next morning, perform arati to Bhagavad-gita and to Krishna and Arjuna upon the chariot. They also listen to discourse throughout the day on the significance of Bhagavad-gita.

Because Bhagavad-gita is non-different from the Supreme Lord Krishna, it is of my most humble opinion that worship of Bhagavad-gita should be a daily event. I have my copy of the original hard-back edition of Bhagavad-gita As It Is sitting on Lord Krishna’s altar. Therefore arati, is performed for Bhagavad-gita each and everyday. Each day we should read Bhagavad-gita even if it is just one verse.

Bhagavad-gita ki jai!

your servant,
    Rukmini-Devi dasi

• December 2005
    Hare Krishna!

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Please remember Gita Jayanti - December 11, 2005.

your servant,
    Rukmini-Devi dasi