I'm a newbie!
  • Tomasil April 2006
    Hi All!
    I've just begun (3 months) to study Hindu spirituality via Eknath Easwaran's Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living 3-vol. set. I'm very impressed with his presentations, and have read several other of his books as well.

I come from a Christian religious background, and am very attracted to Hinduism. After studying and practicing Buddhism for a time, I realized that it was not a God-centered "religion" and it was then that I began investigating Hinduism. I've meditated on and off for many years, practiced Hatha yoga. I presently meditate twice a day. Would like to find a group of Sri Krishna followers and join them in meditation and discussions.
    I live in Sarasota, FL. Please contact me if you live in this area to let me know if there is a group such as this. or if you might want to get together and discuss starting one... or just discuss.
    Thanks,
    Tony :D
  • tirthadas April 2006

Tomasil:

Hi All!
    I've just begun (3 months) to study Hindu spirituality via Eknath Easwaran's Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living 3-vol. set. I'm very impressed...
    I live in Sarasota, FL. Please contact me if you live in this area to let me know if there is a group such as this. or if you might want to get together and discuss starting one... or just discuss.
    Thanks,
    Tony :D

Hare Krishna, Tony, and welcome to the Eternal Spiritual World!

Regarding reading: I'm not familiar with the Gita that you're studying except by name; Bhagavad-gita As It Is, 1972 edition, the translation and commentary by his Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, is the version that most persons on this board would consider to be the definitive edition of the Gita.

Hindu is actually a very old term that is associated with the geographical location of India in relation to ancient Mesopotamia. The correct term for the pure and original religious tradition that is the origin of today's Hinduism is Sanatana-dharma, which can be translated from Sanskrit as eternal truth, eternal religion, eternal duty, or as all three.

This link will take you to the online version of Bhagavad-gita As It Is and of course it is widely available in print. It is essential reading at any stage of one's spiritual journey, but especially at the beginning.

http://books.krishna.org/

I'm a long way from Florida, but there are several temples and preaching centers of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness there...I don't have a list handy.

Please post any questions you might have; I will be more than happy to try to answer them, or direct you to someone who can.
  • Tomasil April 2006
    Dear tirthdas,
    Thanks for your thoughtful and informed reply. I have linked to the suggested website and will order the Bhagavad Gita As It Is. So much to do...so little time!
    Tony :wink:
  • tirthadas April 2006

Tomasil:

Dear tirthdas,
    Thanks for your thoughtful and informed reply. I have linked to the suggested website and will order the Bhagavad Gita As It Is. So much to do...so little time!
    Tony :wink:

You're welcome! :D
  • Shinto refers to 8000000 Gods.......the Hindu refer to 30000000.
    There is only one God............the rest are Demi-Gods in my opinion.
    Below that we have the miriad forms of life.
    Om Namaye Shivaya
    Aummmmmmmmmmmmmm 8)