Which Bhagwat Gita ?
  • May 2004
    Hare Krsna,

Which Bhagwat Gita, one should read ?. Which one is non-flavored and gives true description on all aspects ?
  • May 2004

ilovekrishna:

Hare Krsna,

Which Bhagwat Gita, one should read ?. Which one is non-flavored and gives true description on all aspects ?

Personally, I woudn't waste time reading Jayadvaita's version. It has been proven he has changed some of Prabhupada's meanings. And I wouldn't bother reading any Gita at all that was not by a fully, cent per cent, purest of the pure, devotee. How can we 'really' get Krishna's message from any of these if Krishna's message isn't guaranteed to come thru unchanged? Only by following a bonafide, and qulaified, nonfallen spiriutal master/translator can we understand Krishna's message from.

Here is the best link to the entire book of the Gita. You can also buy it somewhere but I dont have that link. Anywyay read its http://www.asitis.com Its the only Gita I will read. Ultimately, its up to you, but take a look and see if you're not impressed! All aspects are clearly covered here. Of the most honest, noncontaminated, unchnaged words of the Lord. Oh yes, it will make you think, and that is good too. It will bring peace too. Wishing you well.

Your Servant,
    Devotee 108
  • May 2004
    Thanks for the link.. I could not understand the following.. what exactly mean by "nonfallen spiriutal master/translator "

Hare Krsna
  • May 2004

ilovekrishna:

Thanks for the link.. I could not understand the following.. what exactly mean by "nonfallen spiriutal master/translator "

Hare Krsna

To answer your question, Prabhupada did not instruct anyone to be Diksa guru after his disappearance. The more who did, the more who fell down. Their regular fall downs are further evidence of their lack of qualificaiton. Prabhupada specifically instructed there be ritvik only initiations. Bas. He's the only one guaranteed not to fall.

Your Servant,
    Devotee 108
  • June 2004

Devotee108:

[quote=ilovekrishna]Thanks for the link.. I could not understand the following.. what exactly mean by "nonfallen spiriutal master/translator "

Hare Krsna

To answer your question, Prabhupada did not instruct anyone to be Diksa guru after his disappearance. The more who did, the more who fell down. Their regular fall downs are further evidence of their lack of qualificaiton. Prabhupada specifically instructed there be ritvik only initiations. Bas. He's the only one guaranteed not to fall.

Your Servant,
    Devotee 108[/quote] :oops: oh dear another one lacking in any kind of spiritual understanding,probably a student of the barking dogs Damordar and hench lady Rukmini, man cop yourself on and study Srila Prabhupada's writings without the blindfold. :roll:
  • June 2004
    You seem to think you are the only one with any understanding at all! Careful, Arya your ego is going to eat you alive.

Aryasiddhanta Prabhu:

:oops: oh dear another one lacking in any kind of spiritual understanding,probably a student of the barking ** Damordar and hench lady Rukmini, man cop yourself on and study Srila Prabhupada's writings without the blindfold. :roll:
  • June 2004
    Just for claification Arya...Devotee108 has been around longer than I have and I seriously doubt that I have had any influence on Devotee108 since they have been ritvik longer than I have even known the word.

I have some sincere questions for you:

Why don't you use dasa at the end of your name?

My other question is why is it offensive for someone to only desire to read Srila Prabhupada's original unaltered writings? You seem rather upset abou this and I am very curious as to the reason.

Aryasiddhanta Prabhu:

[quote=Devotee108][quote=ilovekrishna]Thanks for the link.. I could not understand the following.. what exactly mean by "nonfallen spiriutal master/translator "

Hare Krsna

Your Servant,
    Devotee 108[/quote] :oops: oh dear another one lacking in any kind of spiritual understanding,probably a student of the barking ** Damordar and hench lady Rukmini, man cop yourself on and study Srila Prabhupada's writings without the blindfold. :roll:[/quote]
  • June 2004
    Yes Srila Prabhupada ordered Yasodanandana to make sure they did not change ONE WORD of his books, and so the first thing they did was: to kick out Yasodanandana and change the books. We had to make a whole lawsuit and challenge the GBC, and we won, and now have the rights to print the original editions through the KBI. We have the 1972 editions of Gita now printed and we will let you know more about where to get the paper copy, but you can also download the 1972 edition.

As for the guru appointment, there never was any? Gurus are -- not -- appointed as Prabhupada said about a ka-zillion times? Of course the GBC also says: gurus have zones, gurus fall down into illicit sex, gurus are whack-job rock and roll music players with machine guns in the trunk of their car, they drink beer, they take percodan, they have affairs with married women ad infinitum.

The good news is that when Dhruvanatha prabhu was going to blow off the head if his guru with a shot-gun for "having his wife," I stopped him and said, you will be in jail for 25 years while your "guru" is already going to the lower regions, so do not make your life a mess over some fool who is already in the drain hole ... and I saved one of their gurus from certain death, of course the GBC never thanks me for things like that?

And there was no appointment of gurus as Tamal, Jayatirtha and others later admitted. No, Srila Prabhupada did not appoint deviants as -- Krishna's successors? This is absurd, deviants are not Krishna's successors as is known to every school child over the age of eight, but never, to the GBC? So yes, the book changes are connected to the bogus guru appointment issue, thanks pd
    :wink:
  • June 2004
    Before Arya can spew out any more his concoctions I will answer the question as to why he is so upset by Devotee108 stating the desire to read only Srila Prabhupada's undestroyed originals.

The only people who become angry over this issue are those who have something to lose and that something is power. If the devotees read Srila Prabhupada's undestroyed originals they will have the knowledge to know when the unauthorized gurus are lying to them and will question and even leave the bogus gurus in the dust.

This is one time when ignorance is bliss - bliss for the self-appointed and voted in unauthorized so called gurus - that is!

Hence, Arya, the unauthorized guru in training, has become angry over this issue - just as he became angry in his paltalk room when he told someone that their chanting was totally meaningless and a waste of time until such a time that they get initiated by a bogus guru. The person questioned the validity of this absurd concoction and Arya kicked them out of the room. Nice way to treat a sincere seeker! I was there so this is not hearsay.

Anyone who has read even one page or paragraph of Srila Prabhupada's undestroyed originals would know this is a concoction - a child could figure it out quite easily.

But new devotees are not being encouraged to read Prabhupada's undestroyed originals and actually are not being encouraged to read much of the destroyed editions. Instead, they are being told that they are too ignorant to understand Prabhupada's books and so must have the writings explained to them by some bogus power hungry individual in the guise of "guru".

That is a maha offense to Srila Prabhupada. But then what do you expect from these people who have everything to lose and nothing to gain if new devotees discover the truth!

And the senior devotees either must toe the line, keep quiet or have life become a living hell until they hit the road!

It is all quite simple - don't read the destroyed editions of Srila Prabhupada's writings and listen to His lectures instead of the garbage that others are spewing.

Arm yourself with the truth - the truth is everything that Srila Prabhupada speaks and with that truth we have the armour to defend ourselves from the onslaught of concoctions perpetrated by the unauthorized gurus and those who choose to believe these concoctions (ie Arya) instead of going straight to Prabhupada our bona fide source of truth, strength and knowledge!

Quit shoving Srila Prabhupada to the back door of the temple until you lock Him out competely. Put Srila Prabhupada back at the center of ISKCON. This is the only way to save ISKCON from a dark dark future - darker than now.

Hare Krsna!
  • June 2004
    Thanks. Our sentiments exactly. They changed the books and the siddhanta. For example ....

In 1978 Danavir and Vipramukhya wrote a newsletter sent to all ISKCON centers saying that you now need to worship their "new gurus" aka Jayatirtha, Kirtanananda, and others, as one's diksha guru, and take initiation from them, and worship them as Vishnupada etc., nevermind we pointed out to them that these men had a tendency to deviate. They kicked us out and forced people to worship their deviants as Christ like messiah "Tirthapadas" etc. without even listening to our constant warnings.

They think people on the messiah platform cannot even follow the basic regs of the kanistha! We even saw one "voted in" ISKCON guru eating chicken salad after he blooped! This is their idea of diksha guru: illicit sex, drugs, rock n roll, and eating chickens etc. Sorry, this is not even basic bhakta class level.

And even after we told folks like Danavir and Vipramukhya there were deviations in their messiahs, they still said we need to "take initiation" from their deviant messiahs. Sorry. Deviants cannot give diksha, this is what they fail to realize. The Vishnupada messiah must be pure, that is clear from shastra.

So this is all they care about, they say you need some deviant to toss a banana into a fire, even if he is having illicit sex and he is a drug addict, and that makes your "purely initiated as a resident of God's kingdom." as if God's kingdom is Market Street and Van Ness in San Francisco?

They are at best smartas, if that, since even the smartas try to follow some standards, whereas the GBC gurus have not much of standard at all, they cannot follow even the basic process for the new bhakta. That is also why they change the books, to suit this deviant siddhanta, thanks pd
  • bhaktabob October 2005
    At this juncture I felt compelled to jump in. I have long felt that it only makes sense to follow the original books. It was clealy a directive from Srila Prabhupada and if we can't follow only the directives we find convienient. My question is, if the GBC gurus are bogus, then who can do legit initiations?
  • October 2005
    Hare Krishna Bhakta Bob,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Sorry but I have stepped away from political topics prefering to follow Prabhupada instruction of "Always remember Krishna. Never forget Krishna."

While my opinions on this remain unchanged I choose to not go round and round any more on such discussions that never get us anywhere and only take our minds away from thoughts of the Lord and His pastimes etc.

Anything that I have to say on such political topics can be found in past posts and are just as true for me today as they were when I wrote them.

Now let's talk about Krishna. Our time is shorter than we think. Let's not waste a moment.

Haribol
    your servant
    Rukmini-Devi dasi
  • bhaktabob October 2005
    Hare Krishna!

Thanks for your response. I should clarify that I wasn't asking rhetorically, I really am puzzled. I have been an "at home" devotee for years-having been turned of by the politics and "biz" of most temples i've been to.

Nonetheless, I respect your views and thoughts and the sensitivity to this topic yoou have expressed. You are, of course, correct. So liittle time and so much Krishna!!!!
  • vespertine212 October 2005
    To answer the original question:

Don't worry about all of this irritating discussion about gurus and ISKCON. It's a meaningless distraction from real spiritual life.

Krishna says to always remember Him, and to fully surrender to Him (BG 18.65-66). Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu taught His followers to do this in an astonishing and unprecidented way.

Follow the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, headed by Srila Rupa Goswami and Srila Raghunatha das Goswami. Anyone who can teach you how to surrender in their line is automatically the best teacher of Bhagavad Gita.

HDG Srila Prabhupada has preached this widely. You should read his Gita. Whether it's this version or that version will make very little difference to anyone who is sincere, and interested in more than just bickering.
  • bhaktabob October 2005
    Thank you for the kind response. That has been my attitute through the years of reading and studying. Nonetheless, association with other devotees is good and I am discomforted with all the bickering that is ongoing. I gues I will have to see it as another diversion of this maya existence
  • vespertine212 October 2005
    Yes. And know that people that bicker over these things are not ideal association. Try to find good association that is steeped in the real substance of Krishna consciousness.
  • December 2005

Aryasiddhanta Prabhu:

:oops: oh dear another one lacking in any kind of spiritual understanding,probably a student of the barking ** Damordar and hench lady Rukmini, man cop yourself on and study Srila Prabhupada's writings without the blindfold. :roll:

BOW WOW!

(having made my little joke, I shall stop barking, and simply chant Hare Krishna)

:lol:
  • BhaktaRay December 2005
    The guru issue has factionated ISKCON into three separate camps.
    The "Prabhupada is the only bona fide diksa guru so far" camp.
    The "Ritvik is the only way to get initiation" camp.
    and of course ISKCON that follows the
    "Multiple GBC-appointed Acaryas" camp.
    It is unfortunate that devotees are literally at each others' throats on this issue. It makes it really hard to get association without committing to one of these doctrines and frequenting the appropriate asramas.
    Regardless of camps, factions and schools of thought there is still guru, sadhu and sastra, not to mention the guru in the heart, Caitya guru.
    Srila Prabhupada is my first and foremost siksa guru. Nobody should argue with that. He has stipulated the qualifications of a diksa guru in a number of places, namely , that he be maha-bhagavata, uttama-adhikari.
    It makes sense that the initiating guru that will take one back to Godhead will have already made the journey, which means he must be fully a self-realized devotee of Lord Krsna.

In any event nobody, but nobody can coerce a Vaisnava into taking initiation. That is a very dangerous practice.

As far as the idea that chanting has no benefit unless one is initiated, that is bogus. In the First Canto, First Chapter Text 14 of the Srimad Bhagavatam

âpannah samsritim ghorâm

yan-nâma vivas'o grinan

tatah sadyo vimucyeta

yad bibheti svayam bhayam

âpannah--being entangled; samsritim--in the hurdle of birth and death; ghorâm--too complicated; yat--what; nâma--the absolute name; vivas'ah--unconsciously; grinan--chanting; tatah--from that; sadyah--at once; vimucyeta--gets freedom; yat--that which; bibheti--fears; svayam--personally; bhayam--fear itself.

TRANSLATION

Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Krishna, which is feared by fear personified.

The word 'sadya' means 'at once'. So 'sadyo vimucyeta' means 'freed at once'. Also 'vivasah grinan' means 'unconsciously chanting'.
    This is a powerful and straightforward sloka and refutes any idea that there are mulitple conditions on the efficacy of the Holy Name.
  • December 2005

bhaktabob:

At this juncture I felt compelled to jump in. I have long felt that it only makes sense to follow the original books. It was clealy a directive from Srila Prabhupada and if we can't follow only the directives we find convienient. My question is, if the GBC gurus are bogus, then who can do legit initiations?

Los Angeles
    31 January, 1969 69-01-31 (to Hrsikesa) [TEXT MISSING] letter of January 9, 1969, I suspect that you have interest in taking instruction from some siksa guru, but in this connection, because you are my disciple and I think, a sincere soul, it is my duty to refer you to someone who is competent to act as siksa guru. This Bon Maharaja, perhaps you do not know, has been rejected by Guru Maharaja. So I cannot recommend him as siksa guru. I think that he has no actual spiritual asset. For spiritual advancement of life, we must go to one who is actually practicing spiritual life; not to some head of a mundane institution, not to one who has offended his Spiritual Master in so many ways. I do not wish to go into all details here, but I must inform you that this Bon Maharaja may be considered as a black snake, and at the time of His Disappearance, my Guru Maharaja did not even wish to have him in His presence due to the character of this Bon Maharaja. So if you are actually serious to take instructions from a siksa guru, I can refer you to one who is most highly competent of all my god-brothers. This is B.R. Sridhara Maharaja, whom I consider to be even my siksa guru, so what to speak of the benefit that you can have from his association. He is living in Navadvipa, and if you like, I can give you letter of introduction as well as I will send him letter to allow you to stay there with him. So if you and Acyutananda are not lost to the poison of Bon Maharaja, and are still serious about advancement of your spiritual life, I will advise you to go to Sridhara Maharaja. Or else I do not know what will save you. So my advice to you both is that you immediately leave the unhealthy and envious association of Bon Maharaja and either proceed to Germany as I have instructed you, or at least go to someone who will be competent to act as sisksha guru. This is Sridhara Maharaja. When I was in India, Acyutananda, Ramanuga, and myself, with others, lived with Sridhara Maharaja, so Acyutananda knows him very well. He spared a big house for us and if both of you go there now, it will be very good for your spiritual benefit. Then I will feel that you are safe. Besides that, if you wish to live in India, you can make arrangements for this house so that other of your god-brothers may go there in the future. Just on the other side of the Ganges there is Mayapur, and you can occasionally or every week go there and learn Bengali and Sanskrit if it is your desire. All facilities are there. Sridhara Maharaja is a very good English scholar and he can talk with you very nicely in English. The room in Vrindaban where you are residing may also be kept so that it may be utilized when necessary. But so far as I am concerned, I am becoming older and older, and my life may be finished at any moment. As I have got my permanent residence in America, it is indication of Krishna that I shall live here to organize this movement to the best possible extent. If I sometimes go out of this country, I will go to Europe only and again come back. So, practically I have decided not to go to India anymore. In case I suddenly meet my death, then I shall make my will how to deal with my body later on. So don't be carried away by whims. It is my duty to save you. Leave Vrindaban, live peacefully with Sridhara Maharaja, if you do not wish to go to Germany, and thereby you will be spiritually enlightened. Please inform me immediately regarding what you have decided.
    HDG A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, 31 January, 1969

P.S. HDG Srila Sridhar Maharaj selected HDG Srila Govinda Maharaja as his successor. HDG Srila Prabhupada also described Srila Govinda Maharaj as his dearmost son.

i have no wish to be political or sectarian, there are many great souls in ISKCON who can help us with our spiritual lives, as Srila Prabhupada said, "everything is in my books" and also "there is no need to look outside ISKCON". Just thought i'd quote this letter in repsonse to your very good question. i personally took Prabhupada's advice, and i'm very glad i did. And i also agreee with Rukmini-Devi dasi's view, that it's better to forget all the politics, and remember Krishna. She is a diciple of Srila Prabhupada and she always makes sense, she gives good council and should be respected by us all.

All Glories to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga!

hope this was of some help to you, they are Prabhupada's words, which are perfect. Keep chanting, Hari bol!
  • rakeshsingh2 September 2007
    When Guru Prabhupad was alive that time there was no need to go out of ISKCON. But this statement is no more valid for ISKCON now a days.

Prabhupad said that : No add, No delete, No change in his version of books at any cost. But ISKCON edited (modified) almost all the books written by Prabhupad many times and for some of the things the actual meaning got changed entirely.

ISKCON think that even bhajan you must do their bhajans only. ISKCON will not encourage/support even if you do good bhajan in Hindi or any other language except Benglan.
  • Ratnesh September 2007

rakeshsingh2:

When Guru Prabhupad was alive that time there was no need to go out of ISKCON. But this statement is no more valid for ISKCON now a days.

Prabhupad said that : No add, No delete, No change in his version of books at any cost. But ISKCON edited (modified) almost all the books written by Prabhupad many times and for some of the things the actual meaning got changed entirely.

ISKCON think that even bhajan you must do their bhajans only. ISKCON will not encourage/support even if you do good bhajan in Hindi or any other language except Bengali.

Here is the free Bhagvad Gita available. Its in Hindi & one of the best translations, good font.

http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/633/gita_arth1_100.pdf
    http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/633/gita_arth101_200.pdf
    http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/633/gita_arth201_256.pdf
  • gary.fowkes September 2009
    The original question was:

;2551:

Hare Krsna,

Now as I see it certain posters have digressed into their own topic. This being a thread about which gita to read can we not have dicussion on other topics please.

Please keep this thread about which Gita to read.

As for the Gita that I read, the only one I have come across is the one by Srila Prabhupad so that is the one that I read.

Again, keep the thread to the original question. Anyone coming from outside of the politics raised in this thread genuiely looking for an answer to which Gita to read is going to be very confused. So please, keep to the original question.

Thank you
    Hare Krishna
  • Eashan August 2012
    Read BHagavad Gita As it Is 1972 Macmillan Version
  • Eashan August 2012
    Read BHagavad Gita As it Is 1972 Macmillan Version.. It is said to be unaltered by the so called editors!