Follow the instruction; not the body....
  • June 2004
    More wonderful quotes from Srila Prabhupada!

So far as personal association with Guru is concerned, I was only with Guru Maharaj 4 or 5 times, but I have never left his association, not even for a moment. Because I am following his instruction, I have never felt any separation. There are some of my Godbrothers here in India, who had constant personal association with Guru Maharaja, but who are neglecting his orders. This is just like the bug who is sitting on the lap of the king. He may be very puffed up by his position but all he can succeed in doing is biting the king. Personal association is not so important as association through serving.

(Letter to Satyadhana, 20/2/72)

So spiritually appearance and disappearance, there is no difference ... spiritually there is no such difference, appearance or disappearance. Although this is the disappearance day of Om Visnupada Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, there is nothing to be lamented, although we feel separation.

(Lecture, Los Angeles 13/12/73)

So my Guru Maharaja will be very, very much pleased with you ... it is not that he is dead and gone. That is not spiritual understanding ... he is seeing. I never feel that I am alone.

(Lecture, 2/3/75)

Vani is more important than vapuh.

(Letter to Tusta Krishna Das, 14/12/72)

Yes I am glad that your centre is doing so well and all the devotees are now appreciating the presence of their spiritual master by following his instructions, although he is no longer present. This is the right spirit.

(Letter to Karandhara, 13/9/70)

The spiritual master by his words, can penetrate into the heart of the suffering person and inject knowledge transcendental which alone can extinguish the fire of material existence.

(SB(1987 Ed) 1.7.22)

There are two words, vani and vapuh. Vani means words, and vapuh means the physical body. Vapuh will be finished. This material body it will be finished, that is the nature. But if we keep to the vani, to the words of the spiritual master, then we remain very fixed up...if you always keep intact, in link with the words and instructions of the higher instructions, then you are always fresh. This is spiritual understanding.

(General lectures, 75/03/02)

So we should give more stress on the sound vibration, either of Krsna or Spiritual Master. Never think that I am absent from you, presence by message(or hearing) is the real touch.

(Letter to students, August 1967)

Reception of spiritual knowledge is never checked by any material condition.

(SB (1987)Ed) 7.7.1.)

The potency of transcendental sound is never minimised because the vibrator is apparently absent.

(SB 2.9.8.)

The disciple and Spiritual Master are never separated because the Spiritual Master always keeps company with the disciple as long as the disciple follows strictly the instructions of the Spiritual Master. This is called the association of Vani. Physical presence is called Vapuh. As long as the Spiritual Master is physically present, the disciple should serve the physical body of the Spiritual Master, and when the Spiritual Master is no longer physically existing, the disciple should serve the instructions of the Spiritual Master.

(SB 4:28:47)

If there is no chance to serve the spiritual master directly, a devotee should serve him by remembering his instructions. There is no difference between the spiritual masters instructions and the spiritual master himself. In the absence therefore, his words of direction should be pride of the disciple.

(CC(1975 Ed) Adi 1.35)

He lives forever by his divine instructions, and the follower lives with him.

(SB(1962 Ed) Preface)

He reasons ill who tells that Vaisnavas die, when thou art still living in sound.

(Bhaktivinoda Thakur b)

Yes, the ecstacy of separation of Spiritual Master is even greater ecstasy than meeting with him.

(Letter to Jadurani, 13/1/68)

Krsna and his representative are the same. Similarly, the spiritual master can be present wherever the disciple wants. A spiritual master is the principle, not the body. Just like a television can be seen in thousands of place by the principle of relay monitoring.

(Letter to Malati, 28/5/68)

It is better service to Krsna and Spiritual Master in a feeling of separation; sometimes there is a risk in the matter of direct service.

(Letter to Madhusudana, 31/12/67)